What Do Extended Warranties Cover?
An extended warranty is like an insurance policy on your car, it is a safeguard against unforeseen repairs. An extended warranty may be purchased at the time you buy your vehicle; it's also possible to purchase one later. If you're the type who likes to be prepared for all possibilities, an extended auto warranty may be just what you're looking for. With the ever-increasing cost of vehicle repairs, these can make a lot of sense.
In deciding whether an extended warranty is right for you, and in selecting the best plan, you'll need to consider some things...
- To what extent is the car already under warranty and do you plan to keep the car past this period.
- How reliable is the vehicle make and model? Do your research.
- Is the extended warranty from the factory, the dealer or a third party provider? While these aftermarket warranties are cheaper they can be known for shady or dishonest practices.
- There are differences in deductible - you can pay per visit or per repair. Be sure you understand the difference before you buy.
- Some extended warranties are transferable should you decide to sell the car before the end of the warranty. Find out the details.
- What exactly is covered? Does it cover breakdown as well as wear and tear? Under a "breakdown" warranty, coverage is extended only to parts that break. Additionally, some "entry level" contracts don't cover ABS brakes, so if your vehicle has this feature, you should consider upgrading to this level. And overheating - regardless of its cause - isn't covered in many warranties. Thus, if overheating occurred due to problems with an expensive part such as your radiator, you'd be stuck with a hefty repair bill. Before committing to a warranty, take the time to fully explore the ins and outs of its coverage implications. The distinctions between the various plans might seem slight, but they can prove quite important.
We may be able to provide you with an extended warranty that meets all of your needs. Please contact us and one of our friendly sales representatives will be happy to answer all of your questions.
Return to Service FAQs